Monday, March 14, 2005

Procrastination

I'm avoiding writing a Spanish paper now to write in my blog. I just wanted to talk about my news shift today. It went a little something like this:

Job #1: The John Randle story. John Randle got arrested. Again. Josh Bickel came into the newsroom today to give us the scoop on that. Apparently he was in a fight outside It's Brother's and got arrested. I think I don't ever want to go to It's Brothers. Too much stuff goes down there. But isn't it funny that it's called "IT'S Brothers" and not just "Brothers?" Okay maybe that's only entertaining to me and my roommate and my friend Kyle Padden. Anyway I put that little diddy up on the web as "Breaking News" and upon Staci's suggestion, printed it out and put it on the clipboard so they'll follow-up on it tomorrow.

Job #2: Hunt down reporters. I found Brooke and Haley and they gave me a tape. Okay, so I guess I understand the importance of this story about political blogging, but man was it confusing and hard to write a tease for. No offense to anyone involved in working on that one, but it didn't seem especially exciting to me. Yeah so I took a picture from their footage and got that up on the web.

Job #3: Creating a tease for ANOTHER story about gas prices from Tom Hipp. If we had a gas beat, he'd be on it for sure. This one was about airplane fuel prices. Surprise, surpise, they're rising as well. I have to give Laura Phillips credit for creating the headline for that one: Soaring gas prices may ground airplanes. Beautiful. Didn't have time to get a picture for that, my shift was over.

Closing comment: What's with all the grey? My suggestion for tv.ku.edu is to cut off like one line of the translucent grey stuff at the bottom of the picture. As of now, I think it unnecessarily cuts off too much of the picture because we never use the last line. And we never would, because you can't read that much stuff when it's on flash. I don't know, that's just my opinion.

Oh yeah, and I emailed my Kansan soon-to-be-friend Eric Sorrentino. Just waiting for a response.

Back to stupid Spanish. Man is it spring break yet???

No comments: