As I walked into the newsroom bright and early at 9 a.m. this morning, I realized how much I like having two different shifts on different days at different times because I get to do--you guessed it--different stuff. Monday afternoon is "play with posting stories on the web" time, and Wednesday morning is "fix everything that's wrong on the flash page and go to the morning meeting" time. And that is what I did today.
At first glance this morning, the flash page seemed fine. But upon taking a closer look, I think I made some sort of edit to 4 out of the 5 stories on flash. We had the John Randle story still up, which I immediately took down because it didn't have the new information. Later Rick informed me that what I didn't notice was that there was video for that story that didn't match the copy at all. More on that later. Another story's headline didn't fit in the flash and had some mistakes, and there was yet another story with video that did not match copy.
I don't know why, but man do I love finding errors and fixing them. That's the beauty of online journalism. You can post, go back and fix, and go back and fix again. It was addicting this morning. While I was still trying to perfect the site, the morning meeting was starting, so I had to drag myself away from my task at hand. It was rough.
My favorite job of the morning however was fixing up the John Randle stories. Staci took the video off of the original story. Then I went and got the tape for last night's broadcast, re-captured Natalie's update, found her script, and posted it all as a new story. That was pretty fun for me because I never work past 3 p.m., so I never get to post video or story copies or anything like that. Yeah it was exciting. So humor me and go check out the final product.
No comments:
Post a Comment