Saturday, February 03, 2007

school. and more school.

I've been feeling very contemplative and nostalgic about life lately. And I don't even know if nostalgic can be considered a feeling. Maybe it's because I've been watching a lot of Scrubs, where the main charater narrates the story and constantly makes observations about life, which has in turn rubbed off on me.

But maybe it's because it's been a long year of seemingly constant transition, and I miss when days were simpler. Hmmm.

Whatever it is, life is still transitioning. Wednesday was my first day back into the world of substitute teaching, and it felt like no time had passed and nothing had changed since my days in the Lawrence Public Schools last spring. I've once again decided that middle school tends to be more enjoyable than high school. I had to send an extremely immature sophomore in high school to the principal on Thursday. I showed him.

Don't mess with me.

I also felt like we were about ten sassy words away from witnessing a girl fight in my 8th grade class on Friday. Man, girls these days are out of control! This girl was being ridiculous though, and she knew it. I gave her a little sass back and she calmed down.

Actually it's funny. I was such a sissy RA, but now some of my junior high girls lovingly call me "the mean one" because I'm always the one shooshing them and keeping them in line in small groups and stuff. I think summer camp taught me how to be a bad-a disciplinarian. Thanks YouthFront.

Speaking of YouthFront, I finally made the decision, after months of debating and some really intense debating in the past couple weeks, that I won't be working at camp this summer. It's kind-of a nice weight off me, but I'm really gonna miss that place. It's the little moments I'll miss.

You know, like sitting outside the chapel doing nothing. With cool people. On a nice hot Kansas day. Ahh...

Fortunately I will get to volunteer for a week, and I will love it.

New topic.

I have a lot of high school friends now, and ever since I worked in a high school the other day I've been reminising about my days of high school. See here in Colorado the schools are crazy. They have block scheduling (boring for students and teachers alike), they're allowed to just leave school when they have their "off-block," and every other day they have "access" where they don't actually have to go to school until 9am unless they want to meet a teacher. Spoiled little Colorado kids.

But all this had made me think about all the things I miss about high school. I loved Kirkwood High School. And I think most of my friends would say the same, yeah? So here's a little list I made during my hour and a half planning period the other day of all the things I miss about high school...

-playing team sports, especially freshman basketball and sophomore soccer.
-making weird videos.
-being anxious to see who was on your IP and then hanging out with them in the library every day during that hour.
-going to football and basketball games constantly and making up cheers for individual players.
-everything young life. from the fear of asking people to go to driving a van load of kids there to weird kissing games (sounds way sketchier than it was) to camp.
-playing basketball in my driveway with the big flood lights.
-eating lunch in the courtyard on nice days.
-hanging out by the lockers during contact.
-driving my prelude and packing too many people into it.
-being friends with the capoochoos.
-drop days.
-lunch at my house every day senior year. and my mom taking requests from people like ben woolf and kristin borgwald for what they wanted her to buy at the grocery store. and the salsa.
-the week of turkey day: the best week of the year.
-soccer practice. because we were outside and it was spring.
-sleeping in class.
-math class. seriously. i loved math.
-julie fay's bible study. especially freshman year studying james in the art room.
-being the office assistant senior year and delivering notes to classes.
-playing games on the tennis courts at kirkwood park.
-senior year gym classes: badmitton with robyn and burkhart and weights training with anthony smith and chris jackson.
-school dances. the only time we ever had dates.

But most of all, I miss these...

-being harcore campaigners with alison.
-running cross country and have dance parties with miranda.
-spring breaks with kristi.
-the early years of soccer with kelsey.
-sharing a locker with ellen.
-watching carolyn in the scary movie.
-riding with sarah in her car as she drove like a mad woman.
-watching kerber crack-up about something.
-umm...too many weird things to list with robyn senior year.

I love them all a lot. I could go on and on about the boys too, but since I don't talk to them anymore they don't get to be inculded. :)

I'm definitely leaving out a lot of other sweet things about high school, but those were just the ones that stuck out to me.

So tateblog fans, what do you miss about high school?

4 comments:

K. Atkinson said...

You of course!!

Anonymous said...

gymnastics...both the sport and my team. no questions about that. however, i was watching a video from high school the other day and what i don't miss is really only caring about what i look like and what boys look like. i almost vomited watching that video

Anonymous said...

Loved this Tateblog. I can remember a lot about those high school years of yours! I remember thinking what a wonderful group of friends you had then (and still do). I remember wondering if you would ever have any as close (now I know you do). I remember what fun you all had, and really never got in any serious trouble (that I knew about). I remember the meetings and gatherings in our basement and how happy your dad and I were that you could use it to "entertain". We always loved any videos that you made and let us view. Lots of laughs there for sure!! Most of all we knew that whenever you were involved, it would be entertaining and gee, let's see, I don't believe that has changed at all!!! Love you!!!!

Anonymous said...

oh mel. i love her.
what do i miss most about high school? being squeezed the back of your prelude and going to the tate house for lunch...those were the days.... oh wait. that's not my life.
i had a dream about high school the other night. they were forcing me to go back and the only reason i wanted to was because of the football and basketball games. but then we couldn't figure out what high school i went to.
*side note, one of my friends was just looking at your blog and got way jealous of the pictures. good job on that*
seriously, what i miss about high school:
driving my pos of a car in the snow, the reevas, platoon 310, lunch breaks, taco bell tuesday, romas, tennis, riding the bus to softball games with jenna, camilla's house, borders, coldstone, movies, snow days with efo in bittersweet, driving down hills in neutral, playing in the orchestra, but most of all: my dog / hanging out with my brothers at my house in greeley.
um. can we go back to high school sometime?