Thursday, February 15, 2007

current feelings of mi corazon

I can't think of a better way to open this blog than with this.



Snowboarding in the mountains and Jayhawk basketball. Two things that make my heart very happy.

That's right everyone. I returned to my snowboarding life last Friday. The Andy and Cary Murphys were in town, so I decided it was an opportune time to start shredding the gnar again. I'm still not even exactly sure what that phrase means, but I'm almost positive that's not what I was accomplishing Friday. I kind-of got worse from taking a two-month break, plus I was obviously scared out of my mind. So I was moving pretty slow. Baby steps. I'll get it back. I just wish I had my friends Jake and Seth here to help me again.

We're lookin good.

It seems like people always complain about Valentine's Day if they're single or whatever. But I must say I don't even notice it's Valentine's Day because I have spent the past three doing really sweet things.

Two years ago I went to one of my most favorite shows ever: Mae and Relient K with Emjo, Maggles and Linsie. It was so packed and we were like sweating and it was gross but it was so fun. I loved it. And I love those girls.

Last year I was in New Orleans, which is sweet as it is. That night I went out to eat with some cool people including the famous Rick Amos at this kind-of nasty fried food place. But it was fun and we did some good Spring Break discussing. Oh those were crazy times.

And yesterday I got to see my boys play. In real life. They were like ten yards away from me. This is actually the second time this season I've gotten to be that close at a game. Except we were actually sitting in other people's seats, so about ten minutes into the game we got kicked out and moved. But the other seats we found were fine, so it was bomb.

I mean I seriously love the KU basketball team as if I know them. My love seems to have only grown since I left that glorious school.

Andy decided the other day that we should all "be" one of the players like we did when we were little kids. So he is Russell Robinson and Mark is Mario Chalmers (except he almost changed it to Julian Wright before he realized he wasn't being loyal) and I'm Brandon Rush, despite the fact that Justin (who I'm not even sure reads this blog anymore and I'm about to take his name out of my little explanation on the side there) thinks that he is sabotaging our teams since he's from Missouri and his brother played at Mizzou. Whatever. He is so bomb. Jub is a dumb dumb.

Just for the record, I love Brandon Rush and Mario Chalmers. Also, we like the fact that Arthur's name is spelled like Darrell but pronounced like Durrell, so we just call him Darrell. And we like to call Sherron Sharon. Oh yeah and he's awesome.

Speaking of Kansas, I am going there in two days!!! AHH!! I love that place. I'm so excited.

In other news, I went to see Freedom Writers this afternoon. I was pretty skeptical about this movie because it looked like Dangerous Minds 2. And while the main character of the movie annoyed me, the movie made me cry. As in tears actually fell down my face at some points. That is a rare occassion. The other two movies I know off-hand that have made me really get emotional are Remember the Titans and Cheaper by the Dozen. Weird.

But seriously, even though it was just like Dangerous Minds, there's something about those seemingly hopeless but then end up turning their lives around inner-city kids (who I must keep reminding myself are actually all actors) that draws out the emotion. A lot. Maybe it's because I've known some kids like that. I've been friends with some kids like that. Maybe not to the extreme of these kids in Los Angeles in the early nineties, but the ones who a lot of people see as hopeless because of the life in which they're raised.

The premise of the movie was that all these kids were in this school because of the integration program (busing inner-city kids into 'better' schools), which a lot of people are opposed to but I actually am a huge fan of.

Anyway, I guess for some reason I just have a heart for these "troubled kids," and I can't even begin to act like I understand their life. But it still breaks my heart to watch this movie and think about how it is real. How that is really the dark life so many kids are living.

So just tonight I finally took a step and applied to volunteer with the Boys & Girls Club in downtown Denver. I mean I know there are troubled kids here in Arvada but I'm tired of waiting for some opportunity to just jump out and hit me in the face so I'm going with what I know. I'm not sure how exactly how it will work out but I'm giving it a shot.

Oops tateblog really escalated quickly there, my bad. Sometimes you just gotta let it out, you know? I mean seriously, since when do I cry that much at movies?

Well I'm out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brandon Rush only had a half brother go to Mizzou. Plus his other half brother went to KU, so I think KU wins out (Yeah, his mom really got around).

If you want the inner city kids to have a better education, support school vouchers!

RET

Anonymous said...

Oh wait, didn't mean to rub salt in old wounds. I forgot his other half-brother said he was going to KU and then broke his commitment and went to UCLA. He sucked anyway, so it shouldn't matter too much.

RET

Anonymous said...

can i just say that may have been my favorite tateblog. i'm not really sure why other than the fact that i agree with most things you said.

1. i was in new orleans this v-day and it was sweet. i spent the first 7 hours volunteering at a shelter because of the tornadoes here, then i slept a lot, and hung out.

2. i also love ku basketball boys like i know them and can't wait to watch nick collison play in less than a week!

3. with your love for those kids, just come volunteer with me and teley at the school down the street. it's so great. i freaking love it. but it might be kinda far for you.

yeah kansas!

Anonymous said...

people here in oregon think i'm weird for watching kansas basketball, and i don't know who i would be. you can decide for me.

also, i want to volunteer with dani and teley at the school down the street.

and i'm watching a dumb coffee commercial right now.

thanks for always making tateblog awesome.

oh, and good luck keeping kids in school. tell them if they go to denver east they can be good at competitive events.

Ang said...

Look at you tearing up the slops, I knew that lifting that poster would pay off in the end. Also glad that you got a piece of Kansas to come to Colorado on valentines day, happy love day to you! I like you and I like your blog...

Anonymous said...

You are a literary genius.