Ahh!! This is so weird. All the time when I talk to people, I'm like, none of my college friends are even close to being married. I was wrong.
I am so excited that Miss Melissa Renee Hartnett will soon be marrying Mr. Clinton Roberto Velazquez. I may not have spelled that right. Anyway, Melis called me last night when I was with three of Clint's BFFs, Miguel, Brady and Justin, so we all got to be excited together and it was pretty sweet.
Melis, I am so happy for you and way pumped. Felicitaciones!
So I don't even know how to go on from there. I'm currently in Pass Christian, Mississippi hanging out. There's a hundred-something Haitians in the other room, but I'm hanging out in the long-term volunteer's cave, playing on Brady's computer on his bed. I just said to him, "Brady your bed is so comfortable," and he said, "I know Tate that's why I said you should have slept with me last night." Awkward. Relay that one to David Keim.
Speaking of Brady, yesterday morning I used his electric shaver thingy to shave my legs. A few days earlier I had tried using Kevin's hair clippers, but it wasn't cutting it. HA! Get it? Oops lame. Anyway, I think I'm gonna invest in one of those electric razor things. Way better than having to shave in the shower. That's something I haven't done the whole 3+ weeks I've been here. I'm really just trying to fit in at the Hippie Camp we eat our meals at. Ew but there's all these chicks there that don't shave their armpits and it is so gross. I'm not going there. Except for that one time in Chile when I forgot about that part of life for awhile and Dave pointed it out to me.
That paragraph up there really escalated quickly.
Speaking of things I haven't done yet, I finally just did laundry for the first time yesterday. Three weeks worth. Although that's somewhat misleading because I tend to wear the same clothes for two days straight here. Nonetheless, it was a lot of laundry, and now I will be happily wearing clean clothes again.
I think we found a place to stay for spring break, which is sweet. It's this FEMA camp thing that is protected by the military. That means people with guns are guarding us. Sweet. And they'll house, feed and provide showers for 2,000 people. So we'll be moving there mid-February I believe.
The warehouse is really growing on me though. But the bad part is that we have SO much food there. And most of it is candy and other sweets. Bad news for me. I eat way too much junk and can't stop. It's like the first year in Chile. I'm definitely putting on a few pounds here. But I'm happy about that.
We all rode here last night in our team's new 15-passenger van. It's good because there's always controversy (drama) about who's riding with who, but now we just suck it up and all ride in the same van as one big happy (dramatic) family.
The bad/best part of the ride was that I was the one giving directions once we got off the highway, but I was sitting in the way back. So first off, I can't even see really what's happening ahead, and second I'm like screaming directions to Nik. Okay, so the screaming wasn't actually completely necessary, it was mostly just for entertainment. When we were almost there, Nik actually stopped the van in the middle of 90 and told us to stop yelling as if he were our father.
I lost it at that point. Just picture me awkwardly laying the back of the van with everyone's stuff surrounding me, not able to move, laughing hysterically and about to pee my pants.
I don't know where anyone is anymore. We don't know what to do today and we all didn't get enough sleep, partially because the Haitians didn't get here until 4 in the morning or something ridiculous, and then Brady came in all yelling and woke us up. I don't understand what was happening. But I should probably go find people.
I'll leave you with this:
"If you bake one cake it doesn't make you a baker. If you paint one painting it doesn't make you a painter. But if you blow up one embassy, you're automatically a terrorist! It's hypocritical!"
"That might just be the dumbest thing I ever heard."
-SNL
1 comment:
the tate blog ie the center for all the world's latest breaking news. i remember finding out that emily was thinking of chile on here and other sweet things. now i find out the melissa and clinty poo are engaged! i'm sitting on my couch and my mom is here making me pancakes. my mom told me that while she was spending the night in my apt, she dreamnt about indian people (oh vidhi's little god's).
i love you.
Post a Comment