I’m on a candy fast for five days.
I don’t really know how it happened, but we have acquired so much candy, sweets and other junk food in our warehouse. It’s disgusting. About a week ago, Nik pointed out the numerous candy wrappers in my car and decided to start yelling at me every time I ate candy. I didn’t listen to him for a few days, but then I began to realize my dependence on M ‘n Ms, Skittles, Milky Ways, etc. It’s gross.
So I quit eating candy on Monday and I can’t eat it again until Saturday. I tried to get Brady to join me in my candy fast last night, because that kid eats more candy than anyone, but he wouldn’t do it.
Also, all these heathen kids like to try and tempt me by shoving candy in my face. This morning I went over to my bed and there was a note that said “Don’t eat me” with a bag of Skittles under it. I’m pretty sure Justin and/or Miguel were responsible for that one.
Some do try to help though. Nik still yells at me if I get near the candy. The other day I started eating some cereal called S’mores and he told me I had to stop because that was basically candy. So I did. Kevin has also written “Tate NO” on the boxes of candy in the food room. I think I’ll make it. Kevin also says I should give up sweets for Lent. Doubtful, but I’ll keep it in consideration.
The other night a car side swiped our van and then just drove off. It was sweet. That’s all.
Oh yeah, and as an added serious bonus, Rick Amos asked me to write a short little dealio to recruit people to come here on Spring Break. This is what I wrote:
Nearly six months after Hurricane Katrina hit the city of New Orleans, most of the country has moved on and even forgotten about the tragedy that affected so many lives. Yet as I work throughout this city and see the many destroyed homes, abandoned cars, run-down businesses and broken lives, I am continually reminded that New Orleans has barely scratched the surface of what it will take to be restored and that this city will never be able to forget what happened on August 29, 2005.
Near the end of my final semester at the University of Kansas, I felt God calling me to come to New Orleans after my December graduation to do what I could to help where help is so desperately needed. God is using me and the other eight people on our team to bring hope to this city. I know that just the nine of us are making a difference, but I can hardly imagine what more people could do.
That’s where you come in. Campus Crusade for Christ is offering the unique opportunity for you and other college students to come together on your Spring Break and truly make a difference in a place where many people have lost hope. For just $30, we will provide your housing, food and everything you need to spend a week here gutting houses, giving out food, cleaning up the city, etc. You don’t need any special skills or anything, we just want anyone who is willing to help and sacrifice a week off of school for the sake of showing love and giving hope to a city that many have forgotten.
There’s no doubt you are needed here, so please come!
The end. For now.
4 comments:
You have some nice friends who are helping you with willpower! Good for them!!
Nice "dealio" you wrote. Should help bring the people down there. Keep up the good work.
Love you lots,
Mel
first of all, i think it would take insane amounts of candy for tate to get fat. i'd like to see it happen though, more to hug...that's all i gotta say :)
inapprop.
also, i wish i got an email everything the tate blog was updated, b/c i always miss it by a day or 2.
i love your life and what you're doing with it. (that includes the part of it that means being my friend)
that doesn't make sense. it's 3 am!
i'm convinced. i'm totally going there (ish) for spring break because of your inspiring words. i'm actually going to pass christian, ms, but everyone calls every place hit by the hurricane new orleans, so it's kinda the same. also, i took that pic of you and em at warren's place.
oops, i made a comment about the pic on the wrong entry. awkward
Post a Comment