Oh my goodness, today was by far the most exciting news shift ever. So I got to the newsroom around 9 a.m. and started reviewing the tv site a bit. I made a couple corrections on the story about the band fire. The copy didn't ever mention the name of the band and I changed it to say "Tuesday" instead of "this morning." And I thought that would be the most exciting part of my day.
So a little later I'm sitting there waiting for the morning meeting to start and Staci comes over and starts talking to me about this story we're partnering with the Kansan on. She's in the middle of explaining about this guy who uses robots when all of a sudden the power goes out. And doesn't come back on. Then the newsroom went a little crazy. As an online producer staring at a bunch of computers that don't work, I'm wondering what I'm gonna do with myself.
I didn't wonder long. Meagan and Staci and Bryan and I went out and tried to get some footage or more information or pictures or something. After wandering around for a little while and viewing the site of the problem, we headed back to the chaos of the newsroom again. I was in contact with some friends who were keeping me updated on the status of power in their respective locations. I helped Meagan get a slide show of pictures together. And I ate some bagels. Then I had to go to class.
Anyway, it was quite an event just for an hour long power-outage, but it was fun. I liked the urgency of everything and trying to get as much information as we could. And I am really proud of how it all turned out. You should all go check out the story on the KUJH-TV News website, as well as Professor Musser's entry on our Multimedia Newsroom blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment