The Beginning
The Safari
We started out the trip with a two day Safari at Amboseli National Park, which was pretty awesome. We stayed at a place called Kibo Safari Camp, where we slept in permanent tents I guess you could call them. They had beds and a toilet and everything though, so we were by no means roughing it.
That's Stephanie and me outside our tent-hut thing. And for some reason the camp had a man come around and do 6am wake-up calls, whether you asked for it or not. It was pretty weird and a little scary the first day.From the camp we went out on four different "game drives" in these cool van things with pop-up roofs.
Also as part of the Safari, we made a stop to visit a Maasai tribe.
The Story of Tumaini
After the Safari we headed out on the four-ish hour drive to the Tumaini Shamba, which is the Swahili word for farm.
About ten years ago, a Kenyan woman named Eunice moved to Denver from the East Coast, and because of several different circumstances, her and her two children ended up homeless. Eunice and her family found help from the Denver Rescue Mission (they're great), as well as Mile High Ministries. During this time, Eunice began to feel a calling from God to go back to her home country to help the many children left orphaned by AIDS or abandoned by their parents.
After months of prayer and study, Eunice sensed that God was calling her to return to Kenya to start an orphanage yet, not an orphanage: rather, a home for children who have become orphans.In June of 2004, the Tumaini Children's Home began. Today, Tumaini is bursting at the seams with over 50 children in a house made for about 40.
-Tumaini Web Site
Before I continue to talk about how amazing Tumaini is, let me explain where Tumaini is going. As I said before, Tumaini currently has the home and the Shamba in two different towns. The eventual plan is to have all of Tumaini located at the 50 acre Shamba. One of the first building projects at the Shamba was the guest huts, where we stayed.
But anyway, the next building on the Shamba was just finished while we were there, and it is the baby rescue center.
Eventually, the plan is to build several different cottages on the Shamba and have all of the kids live there. Then they will be able to have around 200 kids as opposed to just 50. However, Levi and others continued to stress to us that it won't be an institution. The kids will most likely be placed in cottages and given a "mom" or "auntie," and each cottage will function almost like a separate family. The kids at Tumaini are not just numbers. They are individuals who are loved and cared for, and Eunice wants that to continue even as they grow.
Eunice's story is pretty incredible. God is using her in big ways to change lives in Kenya. We were incredible privileged to be a small part of this story...
Being a part of the story
Sometimes when people hear about a mission trip to a foreign country, they think building a house or a church or something. We knew from the start this one would be different. As we prepared for this trip throughout the semester, we knew we wanted to just humble ourselves before God and let him guide us completely. We knew we wanted in some way to be a part of God's justice work in the world. At one of our first meetings together as a team, we created this as our purpose statement for Kenya:
We are going to Kenya to serve the Tumaini orphanage because we want to love, serve, and learn from our brothers and sisters in Christ there.Looking back now, I believe, by the grace of God, we did just that and more.
Work
Let's start with some of the "work" we did. We were there at an opportune time to help, as several finishing touches were being made on the rescue center, as well as around the farm to prepare it for everyone who would be there for the dedication, which took place a few days after we left.
First, we painted the rocks (zebra style) that line the drive up to the building...
Let's get a closer look...
I forgot my hat that morning. So I improvised. The final product looked like this...
Apparently they were super impressed with our work, so that's fun.After painting, mostly just some cleaning was required. And what cleaning means is scraping red Kenyan mud off of every surface using brushes. It was...tedious. But that's ok. We scraped dirt off of the walkway rocks...
Don't I look so excited to be doing that? We also scraped dirt off of rocks and walls. And Stefan and Barry thought it would be funny to leave this small section unscraped...Most of us wanted to do some work on the farm too, so we got put to work digging up potatoes in the potato field one day.
Barry also helped out our friend George one day with the pigs. George is a great guy. I met him the first day I was at the farm wandering around. His life is a great witness to Christ, as he works such a humble job with a servant's heart because he knows the greater good of what he's doing.
And...that was about the extent of our physical labor, but we were glad to be able to contribute.The Kids
Most of the rest of the time, we played with the kids. My first experience with them was the first day we went to the school.
I loved playing at the school, mostly because we always ended up playing a soccer game. So the first kid I will tell you about is my soccer buddy Sevia.
Sevia speaks great English, and one of my favorite quotes from happened when a little 3 year old girl was crying and he says, "Hey man, why you cryin?" We quoted him on that the rest of the trip. We got to play one last game with him the day we left, and after giving out water as part of our victory celebrations, we said our good-byes.
After school we would go hang out at Tumaini with the kids for a little longer and had our afternoon chai, while the kids had their porridge or yogurt or some unknown substance in a plastic cup at little plastic tables with little plastic chairs.
One, that's the day I met my friend Kimani.
Kimani is a special kid; he has cerebral palsey. I noticed him that day sitting on a chair and thought to myself, Jen would love him. (As in Jen Fogleman, she works with special kids). And then I thought, wow, I love him. So I eventually made my way over to him and sat next to him. And then pretty much never wanted to leave. He was a little feisty that day--he kept grabbing my arm and digging his nails in, and he even bit me once or twice. But I just sat there and let him play with my hand and my watch and my bracelet. That's usually what we did as friends.The other thing I'll remember about that Sunday was that I got to see how well the Mommas or Aunties, as well as a couple Uncles, love on these kids. They are not just employees, they're part of the family. The are so loving and caring and nurturing, and it was so incredible to watch. They were jump roping with the girls or having little conversations or joking around or wiping noses all the time. They are why those kids are going to grow up as strong and loving individuals. The kids are so well loved. I thank God for them.
One day of our trip we went to visit the Nairobi Children's Home, which is the state run orphanage. While the staff there is loving as well, it was just a very sad and dark place. There were a few smiling faces, but mostly the kids were sad and quiet and sick, and all they wanted to do was lie on us.
Levi kept telling us that Eunice is not allowed to go there anymore because she would always want to take every single one of them to Tumaini. Several of the Tumaini kids did come from that home originally. It's not meant to be a permanent place to stay. Those kids are sent to other homes or possibly adopted, but they just live in a very sad state there, mostly due to lack of funding.
Tumaini is like a different world compared to Nairobi Children's Home. It made me even more thankful for the work they do. The kids at Tumaini are happy and healthy and smiling and loved. Hopefully as Tumaini expands, more and more of those kids can leave Nairobi Children's Home and join the Tumaini family.
Another great day we had was the Saturday before we left, which was also a week before the baby rescue center opened. Eunice decided they should have a celebration for the completion of the construction of the building. So that morning while we were probably once again juggling the soccer ball in our yard, we see this bus roll in to the Shamba...
The coolest part of that day was when everyone first got there, and everyone stood at the front of the rescue center and they all started singing praises and celebrating that God had given them this place.
That day I got to spend a lot of time with another one of my good friends Issa.
Later that Saturday, we had a big celebration meal. The men had slaughtered a cow and cooked it up for us, so we ate beef and rice and cabbage with our hands all together. It was a great experience.
Well I've left a couple important kids out. Sophie and I had two boys that we spent a lot of time with, Uncle Charles and Peter. Uncle Charles is actually only 3, but Eunice had an Uncle named Charles so they just decided to call him that. The four of us were in a best friends club.
Well I could go on and on about the kids. They were all so great, and I hope I don't ever forget them...I don't think I will, they were way too awesome.
Transformation
I have so many more stories to tell--about visiting the slums, about funny things the kids did, about cool church services with awesome choirs, about encouraging words from the people we met, about Barry puking out the side of the van, the list goes on. But I feel like this is getting long enough, and I still need to make sure I talk about what we've taken away from this experience and why we even went.
Well, here's my answer. I am amazed at the work of Christ in Tumaini. It truly is an incredible organization, founded by an incredible woman. Before the trips this summer when we were having our "mission training" I guess you could call it, we talked about doing justice versus just doing service. As in, service is just giving someone water and justice is finding out why they need water and building a well or something.
To that I say, Bwana Asifiwe, Amen. That's Kiswahili for Praise the Lord.
Finally, throughout the trip, I felt like this one phrase kept popping back into my head: Let your lives be changed. This is another thing I asked the team to think about and consider, especially near the end of the trip. God is in the business of transformation, and I believe that through an experience like this, we need to seek what it is He wants to teach or in what ways He wants to change us.
Some members of our team realized they wanted to invest more in their relationship with God, others were encouraged by the relationships we formed with people there and wanted to take that back with them. The lesson that most hit me is one that has been on my heart for the past couple years. Through reading Luke and seeing the lives of the people in Kenya, I realized again that I want to keep working to live more simply. I continually remembered that phrase, "Live simply so others may simply live."
I was amazed on this trip. I believe God worked on my heart in ways that I won't even really realize or understand, and that's awesome. I just love that we can go around the world and meet all these new people and still worship the same incredible God.
As I look back on this whole trip, all I can do is give all credit to the Lord for leading and guiding every step. I may have been the "leader," but I was only able to plan and lead any part of it by the grace of God. This trip was not about me teaching some kids about serving others, this was about God transforming all of our lives.
Well that seems to be enough. Like I said, I have a lot of other stories to tell, so just ask! I also want to take a moment to say thank you so much to all of you who supported us on this trip whether that was financially or in prayer or both. I really really appreciate you wanting to help make this trip possible, and I really do consider that you were a part of this experience too. God works through a lot of people to accomplish his purposes.
All I ask in closing is that you remember Tumaini and remember the work God is doing there. And maybe think about being a part of that too! Because they are da bomb.
3 comments:
Thanks, Amanda, for this very informative and uplifting story of your incredible trip. I am glad it had such an impact on you. Your hard work in planning this all paid off. Sounds like it was a huge success!
Love you!!
Mom
Tatey-
Your trippy sounds awesome.
I love seeing the pictures and hearing how God worked.
Cool. We still needa skype.
Love love love.
klk
Shorty - excellent and inspiring. Don't worry I read it a while ago, just posting today because I read a new book that you may be interested it....The Story of Stuff. Found it at the library. Pretty depressing but eye-opening as well. Hope Mexico was wonderful!
Post a Comment