It's 2008. I just got back from spending about 24 hours in Frisco, CO at the very nice mountain house of Ev's parents. I did not walk outside the door once in those 24 hours I don't think. But it was good company and below zero out, so why leave? I spent this entire day watching football and putting together a puzzle. That dang puzzle.
Anyway, the laziness of my new year pretty much describes my entire Christmas break. Yeah that's right. Two years out of school and it's still "Christmas break" in my head. I went home for about a week to hang out with my family, play with babies and spend one evening with my high school friends.
I remember when I used to be home at Christmas and spend every waking moment with those friends. And now it seems like that one night is even hard to get us all to. It's weird how we all just all of a sudden move on. But as I looked through old pictures and yearbooks (which I always do when I go to St. Louis), I realized again how much I miss high school and the people there. I really miss the way you see people everyday and have to make very little effort to be friends. I think I took that for granted.
A couple weeks ago, I got to make my first trip to Oregon, and my first trip to the west coast states ever. The occasion: Jamie Powell's wedding.
The weird thing was, I was not super excited about going to Oregon. I mean I was so excited to see all my peeps like Jamie and Caitlin and Kevin, etc., but I wondered if after these past almost two years of not seeing each other would make us not so tight.
I was wrong.
My time in Oregon was sweet. You've probably noticed how often I bring up something about New Orleans in my blogs, and know that it was an amazing experience for me, but it is so easy for me to forget that those eight other people on my team were a huge part of my great experience.
Being around them is awesome because they are the people that surrounded me for a few of the greatest months of my life. They get it. They understand. And it almost is a subconscious thing. By that I mean I was so immediately comfortable around them without even thinking about it. I don't know, it's hard to explain. There's just something about reuniting with the people who went through a profound experience with you.
Kind-of like hanging out with Rachel Cavanaugh. We were like barely friends when she was a student, but then we were both leaders on the Denver mission trip this summer and shared really cool moments. And now she's home on Christmas break and being around her again just gives me some sort of weird joy and peace. Because there's some big part of me she gets.
I really hadn't thought about any of this until I started typing, so I'm not sure if any of it makes sense. Man I love writing.
Anyway, so this wedding was great. It was great to see Megan, Kevin, Nik Stice, Heather, and of course, my two NOLA boos.
Some other exciting things have been going on lately too, like Angie being home,
Melissa coming to visit,
Yeah that's just weird. Mark Cuthbertson is good at photo shop. We had our first game last Friday (the day I returned to the Mile High City from the couple hundred feet high city), and I pretty much have never felt so out of shape in my life. I think Jake Stooke said it well when after a few minutes of play he stated that he could already taste blood in his throat. I felt the same way. I cannot explain to you how horrible I felt after running around for two minutes. It was unreal.But whatever we won, and our soccer team is awesome and it's gonna be a sweet season. As long as no one has to be hooked up to an oxygen tank and taken to the hospital.
Happy New Year!
6 comments:
yes yes yes. first tateblog of 2k8. it is kind of like the first baby to be born in the new year, you know. hope breaky break is fun and good. the other day i was remembering a story of when you came to spfd over break a couple years ago...fun fun. ttyls
I'm glad that you could write a new blog to appease the people that you see everyday...those jerks!
I also laughed outloud at the picture of the puzzle because I realized that all my pictures of new years revolve around that dang puzzle.
I miss you already!
i was waiting for this!
i miss break with everyone here. it's been sooooo boring this year.
ahhhh the old days.
ok. i hope you are doing well. bomb. all of that stuff.
love you!
I love your reading your blog...it's just one of those moments where you feel like someone is else writing what you are thinking/feeling but it's a completely different life.
It's like you get some part of me...wait, have I heard/read that before? Oh yeah....you said that. Glad it's mutual.
Miss you already!
CAV
funny how you wrote this "because of" me and it took me until today, January 17th, to discover it!!
new tateblog ready set go
Post a Comment