Friday, August 24, 2007

what in the name of me is going on in here

Yesterday was a sad day for me. Angie headed back to Chicago and Sophie started the first day of school. And you know what that means: the epic summer of 2007 has come to a close.

I wrote a blog in June about how blessed I have been this summer. And that was true for its entirety. Don't get me wrong, I love camp and I did miss working there this summer, but it was so refreshing to just be in Colorado, or on one of many summer trips, because it was a nice changed of pace. Plus, I am pumped for the beginning of the new school year.

But before that, I need to report on the last few weeks of summer. They have been very hectic and stressful at times, but I survived. And I finally got my stupid computer back. He had to spend way too much time in the hospital (aka Mac store).

A few weeks ago, there were some visitors in the CO.

I was way pumped to see my good friends Emjo and Maggles. I always get really excited when a piece of my life in Kansas is in Colorado. Plus, we all got to go to see The Fray.

It was a pretty awesome show. My favorite part was obviously when they covered Hips Don't Lie by Shakira. Who knew what an amazing song that was? Oh wait, Jub did. The only downside was that it poured down rain halfway through The Fray's set.

Well, it was actually pretty fun and sweet and reminded me of playing soccer in the pouring rain in El Salvador. The downside came when we were uncomfortably soaking wet afterward and Emily's phone broke. Sorry Emjo. I think it was still a good time though. My favorite part was how the girls were joking about how they would react when they met the band, but then I told them we're trying to be low-maintenance so we might not see them. At that point Maggie said, "Ok I'll put my low-maintenance face on." Oh I miss the Kansas people.

Unfortunately, my time in Colorado with those two got cut short, as Grandma Tate passed away that week. As most of you know, it was actually sort-of a blessing because she had been in such poor health. But still sad of course. The last time I saw her was in March.

She was a great lady. In all my mission trips and stuff she would write such encouraging notes and talk about how she and her church were praying for me. And she loved Easter. Every year she would make sure I wasn't too old for an Easter basket, and I said no way. I'm never too old for candy.

So Grandma will be missed, that's for sure.

It was cool being in St. Louis again too because I got to see some of my Kirkwood girls I haven't seen in forever. As in Alison, Sarah, Ellen and Kristi. Talking to them and just being with them in person again was great. Oh and I got to hang out with Nic and see his new church.

Even with all that going on, my parents and I still got to head down to the great state of Florida to meet up with Marjorie and the Nunns for a week.

Besides the fact that it was ridiculously hot, I had a good time with the fam. Playing in the ocean with my cousins Joey and Michael, doing crossword puzzles with Gammy (she's not my gammy but I call her that anyway), being treated to dinner every night by Gar and Mel, it was great. Plus how awesome does Gary look in this picture:

Yes. Also, my cousin Michael is pretty much obsessed with me and my dad, so that's always fun. I got him hooked on Scrubs. He's nine...is that wrong? It's fine. Plus I got to meet up with Danielle one day for lunch because she was in Pensacola for the week. Cool.

Oh and what is so exciting is that all the Africa people got home a week ago, safe and sound. I never thought about what the sound means in the phrase "safe and sound" and I don't think I really get it. But anyway, I was happy with their return. Things just feel normal again.

Sunday night I saw the Bourne Ultimatum for the third time. Awesome. I want to marry Jason Bourne.

And now...well now I'm just sitting at church. There's always stuff to do but sometimes I get bored of that stuff. But I'm excited because next week is our staff retreat and the week after that is the beginning of fall programming. Holler.

I think I'll go try to be productive until I have to pick up little Sophie from school. Peace.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. I am glad we had the week together in Florida. It was lots of fun! I am sure you are adjusting to the school year, just as we always adjusted with you and Ryan. Know you will miss Angie! But just think of the new adventures ahead for you, because those of us who know and love you, know there are many more to come!
Nice mention of Grandma, yes we will miss her!
Love you!!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the blog as usual. Not sure about the snorkel mask photo but Michael liked it.

We will miss Grandma. She got a kick out of reading your blog.

james said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ang said...

Sorry to make your day sad...thanks for a great summer. I'll see you soon, don't even worry little tater!

poshiggity said...

almost a month without a new Tate blog makes mark crazy something something...