Wednesday, July 18, 2007

mcginty family fun

Last night I went to Barnes and Noble and discovered something disturbing in the children's section. Actually, 2 disturbing things. One, they have a display rack dedicated to books on sharks. That is terrifying. Seeing images of sharks (namely the movie Jaws) scarred me for life. Granted, Jaws shows several instances of humans getting eaten by sharks, but still.

The second disturbing thing: I couldn't find any Baby-Sitter's Club books. What the heck? I loved those books when I was a kid, and I was so mad they didn't have any. Dumb.

But don't worry, I calmed myself down by performing some scenes from my 8th grade musical "How to Eat Like a Child" on the little stage for Sophie and Angie and Kristen. I'll have to bust that tape out the next time I'm in St. Louis. Especially to watch Alison's great solo about her birthday. Oh, and my incredible dance moves.

But anyway, the Baby-Sitter's Club. It turns out my cousin Jane, who in my head still should be like 3 but is actually 7, reads some of these books now and loves them. I'm so proud.

I got to see little Jane and the rest of my crazy McGinty family this past weekend in Dallas for Aunt Melinda's wedding celebration.

It was called a celebration because they were technically married a year ago but never had the party. And a party it was. For three nights.

One of the best parts of the weekend was being reunited with my cousin Bill.I can't really explain Bill, but just picture someone really loving and funny who doesn't hold his tongue much. And then picture that person on speed. That's Bill. There are very few instances when I'm around him that I stop laughing. But he lives in Boston, so I definitely don't see him enough.

That's us at the big event with Aunt Maureen. She loves us the most because I'm her namesake and Bill's her Godson. Holla.

The wedding celebration was crazy nice. Melinda and Bill went all out. The highlights for me were, obviously the dance...

...and also that chocolate fountain that you dip fruit and stuff in. So good. I wish I had a picture of it.

But besides the wedding and a dinner every night, we mostly just hung out at the pool. Here's me and my cousins Stacey and Charlie just chillin.

And by "the pool," I mean the pool at the hotel my parents stayed at, since our little Holiday Inn seemed to be lacking a pool. How can a hotel in Texas not have a pool? Plus the Four Seasons is probably the nicest hotel I've ever experienced, and I'm slightly convinced that it's a cult. Watch out for them. They'll win you with their charm. But not with their $10 a day charge for internet in the rooms.

So it was a great weekend. I wish my bro bro was there. He missed out for sure.

Tomorrow I head out for the high school lake camping trip. Should be fun, even though I'm not really into water sports.

Speaking of camp (sort-of), I never really got to write about that trip, but I'll just say it was awesome. It was camp. Plus I got to see some Lawrence peeps. Plus Emily and Maggie are coming to Denver in a couple weeks!!

I seriously love summer.

8 comments:

The Van Rossums said...

Good call on the Babysitters' Club, but even more than those, I loved Sweet Valley High and Sweet Valley Twins. You might have been too young for those. You should check them out.

Anonymous said...

Great job on the blog. The McGintys will love it!! It was so great spending time with you in Dallas..so fun! Looking forward to Florida!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow what great thoughts, so glad we got hang with you!!

Anonymous said...

Shorty...OUTSTANDING - as always! You're amazing!

Anonymous said...

It was definitely a classic family get-together. Looking forward to more family fun in Florida.

That photo of us on the dance floor is special. Thanks for including it.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful weekend. Thanks for sharing your El Salvador video. It was great fu.n being with you. I'm honored to be included in the photos

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy reading your blog, but have never responded. After seeing my grandchildren in your pics, I had to reply! It certainly was great spending time with you last week-end--thanks for sharing a room with daughter Stacey.

Anonymous said...

I've been pushing for a blog mention for quite some time now, saweet! Can't wait to see you in like only 2 weeks or so. Tight! Glad to see you are doing well.